Aidan and I were a the Y for my weekly post-op workout. I noticed a sign for a blood drive. PERFECT! Here is something I can do to feel "good" about myself, and you know, give back to all my peeps.
I fill out some paperwork. Get my sticker and am cleared for take off...well, not exactly. Let's stop here and assess my not-thinking-this-one-through. This blog, just being the author of something containing the words "medical" and "mystery" should have been a HUGE red flag to send me running, ok let's not lie - walking/limping to the hills. Nope. Not this determined dumb ass. The nurse checks my vitals, I passed all the "You can't give blood if....." questions, which was either a miracle or HUGE oversight. I'm still on the fence.
Aidan hangs out at the after-blood-donation snack area and chats up a new friend while eating Utz pretzels. Then, dun dun - dun dun...it's like shark week but scarier - it was time for the dreaded iron stick. The nurse informs me 12.5 was the "magical number" and I said, well what about an 11.8? No bueno said she.
I send all my super duper iron rich blood to the tip of my middle finger (it should be used to this by now - I do it so frequently) small stick and wait. It felt like the wait of a pregnancy pee test, only no red lines, and not near the fan fare. Um......
I get the thumbs down. But first, she calls over another nurse, take a look at this she says. I thought - damn yo, I was just working out I know I look bad but give a girl a break. No, they did not care about me and my sweat stains, just my sad iron score. I felt like I was in the olympics and just totally fucked the final vault. Even Kerri Strug got a second try...and a Wheaties Box.
I failed. Plain and simple. But you know when I do anything, I have to do it big - EPIC FAIL.
12.5 - hell I would have taken a 5.5....see below for the sadness and the shockness that bestowed my nice nurse. "Maybe next time"......
| Seriously, 0.0 ???? |
One day...I still have dreams of making a Wheaties box, minus Béla Károlyi...and the leotards.
When are you writing your book!!!! I want signed copied pronto! What a story...good grief! :-)
ReplyDeleteWow, you do need to write a book kate, its a good thing moral character isn't measured by your hemogolbin count. On that you would be off the charts :o)
ReplyDelete